Friday, January 27, 2012

Herzliya One More Time

I'm back in Herzliya, at Avi's house. I think I'll spend my last five nights here. Being with family, and being back where I started, seems like a nice way to end my trip. When I last wrote I was just leaving for Tel Aviv to see the last of my parents' contacts, the Beazleys. The trip to Tel Aviv was easy - I'm no longer afraid of the bus system or not knowing where I'm going. I have vague memories from my 11 year old trip of Noa Beazley, their daughter. She's the same age as I am and in a similar boat; she's about to leave for the US where she plans on spending a few months. On Tuesday we walked around for the afternoon, Noa pointing out all the good stores to see and places to eat. I think that must be the reason people can tolerate the cramped conditions and lack of space of cities: the food. I wish I had more time and money and room in my stomach so that I could just go around eating all the food. As a land of immigrants, Israel is blessed with a diverse range of food so that you can find most ethnicities on most streets. I remain partial to the falafel joints; what am I going to do without falafel when I get home? I've decided that if all else fails in my life I'll just open a falafel/bookstore/cafe. It was interesting getting Noa's perspective on Tel Aviv in that she has a very negative opinion of Israel. I haven't met someone who so dislikes living here, but it's true that this isn't a place for everyone. I don't know that it's a place I could imagine living. The people are rather aggressive at times and there are a whole different set of concerns than you face. Nonetheless, she and I had a fair bit in common and I enjoyed hanging out with her.

On Wednesday I went back to Jerusalem and, where else, Danny's apartment. Sometimes I think what my trip might have been like if they didn't have that apartment; I've gone back four or five times and stayed between a night and week. Danny's cousin, James, hosts meditation classes on weeks that he is available so I attended this one. As someone who has never done any meditation beforehand, the idea of sitting quietly for half an hour had me a little wary as to whether I'd enjoy it or not. Surprisingly it wasn't nearly as difficult as I'd expected. Afterwards he spoke on the topic of true strength and confidence, and how that means being able to open yourself up and present some vulnerability. People who are hard faced may come across as strong, but it's usually fear that closes them up. The closing point of his talk was that if we accept this as true, then why don't we do it? Why don't, or why can't, we open ourselves up and let in what the world is offering?

Thursday was my last day in Jerusalem, and it was such a wonderful day. I got breakfast at a cafe my sister highly recommended which turned out to be a good place to read for an hour or so and start the day slowly. I meandered around Ben Yehuda Street and Jaffa Street finding presents for family with my dwindling money supply. I got the best falafel I'd had so far and met some cool Americans in the Max Brenner chocolate store. Afterwards I met up with Danny and ventured into the shuk for the last time. On our way home, a street vendor Danny befriended invited us into his little store to show us how he makes pita. This is something he's been doing since he was six years old and has the skill and deftness of hand to show for it. He took one of the large pita fresh from the fire pit, painted it with olive oil and zatar, and cut it like a pizza for us to take. And the way he and Danny became friends is because the man smiled at Danny one day and so Danny introduced himself the next time he saw him. It's really that simple.

Do you remember the woman I so adored? The one I went to for Shabbat dinner with Danny - before New Years I think. Well, to my slight embarrassment, Danny e-mailed her what I wrote about her. About two weeks ago, when I was in the desert, I received a call from her inviting me over should I find myself in Jerusalem again. So a bit later in the afternoon I paid her a visit and it was extraordinary. I was only there for about half an hour because she had a lot of work to do, but we had such an intense one-on-one conversation while I was there. I've never been so exhausted after a conversation with someone, but it was so intense and connected and engaging for those 30 minutes that it might have been a good thing we couldn't go on indefinitely. Though I wouldn't have minded going on indefinitely. I have such admiration and respect for her; I truly hope to see her again. And to strive to affect people the way talking to her affected me.

Hovav, one of Danny's roommates, played his first guitar show Thursday night. It was really fun and he did an amazing job performing the songs he wrote while traveling. On a selfish side of things, I got to see all the people I'd met at various times spent at Danny's apartment and say goodbye on my last night in Jerusalem. It was strange and sadder leaving this morning than I'd expected. I've always gone back there after and in between various stages of my trip that to say a goodbye (for now) to the apartment, the city, Danny, Moshe, Hovav, and Aaron felt a bit like leaving the desert or leaving home. The trip to Herzliya took a couple of hours but it was simple. Avi picked me up from the bus stop because of the rain and I've spent most of the afternoon chilling with Ronit and watching tv and movies...which is weird because I haven't watched tv in weeks. I have four whole days left (is that it?) before meeting my Dad in Scotland (he leaves today). I'm hoping for some nicer weather so that I can better make use of them and do some exploring. I still don't really know how I'm getting to the airport on Wednesday and I've got a very small amount of money left but I think - I know - it will be all good. Shabbat Shalom everyone.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Ilana
    Melanie says hi too. We are also hoping for better weather over the weekend - none of the freezing rain and snow/sleet mixture that is coming down right now. Enjoy your last few days. Mom xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shabbat Shalom motek (sweetie)! Love you to pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yayyy! what a great post. so glad that i/we got to be part of your journey here, and you an enriching part of yours.
    eager to keep posted as your adventures continue unfolding.
    love,
    danny

    ReplyDelete