Monday, December 19, 2011

Jerusalem

I can't believe it's been just over one week since I arrived. It feels like it's been so much longer. I'm in Jerusalem right now and I definitely like it here better than in Tel Aviv and probably Herzliya too. I got here Saturday night and slept in Noa's friend, Danny's, apartment. This was my first time meeting him but it felt like I already knew him...probably because I know his twin brother. He and his roommates are all really nice and said I can stay there whenever and for however long I need to. I also met some of their friends who were all pretty cool. They all sit around and play music and drink tea and meditate in the mornings (earlier than I had hoped). That apartment is almost a community in itself, and it has a great location. It's right in the center of town within walking distance to a lot of cool things. Yesterday I walked to the old city and the Western Wall, as well as around a couple outdoor markets. It's almost Hanukkah which is probably the best time to be in Jerusalem because they sell the most delicious donuts everywhere. "Sufganiyot" is what they're called. They're so bad for you but after one bite you really couldn't care less.

In the afternoon I was picked up by the Paley's, some of my parents' old friends. They have a house near the outskirts of Jerusalem. They have three kids but one is in America, one is in the army (and only home on weekends), and the other is a junior in high school so he's the only one really at home. Shirah is a very delicious cook, last night she made the best soup I've ever had. I used to be such a picky eater but here I eat anything anyone puts in front of me. I am usually out from anywhere between 10 and 4 so I find lunch out. I've never walked into a restaurant by myself before and eaten alone. So simple, but I just have never really gone out alone so much. Here I love being outside by myself. I can walk around anywhere and stay as long as I like. The weather is always beautiful and warm and there are a lot of things to see and do. I pack a bag in the  morning with a map, camera, bottle of water, maybe a book or notebook, and sometimes a snack and then you won't see me for a few hours, depending on what I find.

On Saturday night, with Danny, I went to a yarzheit (remembrance of one's death) for a rabbi's father. I can't remember the rabbi's name but he was a wonderful and very passionate speaker. He mostly spoke about Hanukkah, raising a lot of questions and answering them from many different angles. The overall point was about the stories we hear or are told and whether they actually happened, and if that even matters or if it's more important what we learned from them. I got this, but I also got a lot of other things out of the discussion that I could relate to my traveling. It made me think about how in Bangor I've never really pushed myself or done anything that was especially difficult. I never really pushed myself at school, I had ideas that I didn't always see through, as piano got progressively more difficult I stopped taking lessons. But here I'm on my own and I'm pushing myself in a whole manner of new ways that will ultimately benefit me. Already I've had to face so many fears and then I realize how silly some of them were. Like taking a bus or navigating an airport, they're so simple! Or talking to people I don't know, here I meet new people everyday. It's been out of necessity, but if it weren't so then I wouldn't have done it.

Everyone here takes school much more seriously. Ronit is trying to get into med school but first has to do the Israeli equivalent of the SATs. I took a few SAT tutoring sessions, but other than that I really just went in with a "we'll see how this goes" kind of attitude, which in my mind was better than stressing over it. But Ronit goes to a school to prepare her for this test, studies every day for it, has about 14 books to help her prepare. It's taken very seriously by everyone in the country, so average, "winging-it" scores won't really fly. It makes me want to redo the SATs, to try harder, to not be satisfied with the thought of UMaine.

But that's all I have time for right now, it's lovely out and I'm going to the zoo.

3 comments:

  1. Such wonderful writing Ilana. I can't wait for your next installment! I can almost taste the Sufganiyot! Have one for me....Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're amazing and it sounds totally inspiring. Can't wait to talk to you-love always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kol haKavod!

    Love you as always,
    Abba

    ReplyDelete