Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Everyone's Staying!

The past few days have really made me aware of some of the huge differences between life in Thailand vs. life in Maine. Not that I haven't been aware of the insane incomparabilities since I got here, but a few new things popped up that just reiterated this thought. Most noticably was my Monday. I was working in the afternoon and it kicked right off with my first real dog fight. It's easy to forget that these dogs weren't born into a life of pethood and many spent the first portion of their life surviving in packs on the island, trying to find food and competing over resources. One of our newest dogs, Bones (named because she came in with absolutely no meat on her), is still not completely adjusted to the fact that she will have meals everyday and went nuts on Michael, the dog I wrote about last time, in a fit to eat first. Don't let this put you off though, if anyone wants a dog right now I can hook you up. Following this incident I took the two older puppies, Beijoqueiro ("kisser" in Portugese) and Rocket for a walk to the river. Along the way they were sniffing in the grass just off the side of the road when they both lunged after what I assumed would be a frog or gecko. But no, a King Cobra rose out of the grass and towered over the puppies, hood up and fangs ready. I yanked them away as swiftly as possible, though the two were all for playing with the cobra. No harm, no foul, but beyond what I was expecting. Of course everyone else is quite jealous that I should see a Cobra after 2 1/2 weeks, when some volunteers have been here months, but I could have done without.

More excitement the next day on a walk to the river. I was with another volunteer, Sam, and we had three dogs altogether. A bike was coming towards us with a dog chasing the bike. Upon seeing our dogs, this other fellow tried to cross in front of the bike and come over to us but he collided with the bike which sent the driver into a ditch and the second guy flew off into the road. Luckily both were okay and the dog seemed to be as well, but one of our dogs, Chilli, slipped her harness and ran off with Sam chasing. In the end she just went home and once again, all's well that ends well.

For the most part I really enjoy Thai people. They're friendly and kind and have a wonderful sense of humor where they poke fun at you when you get rained on or sunburnt but in such a cheerful way that you don't feel upset or made fun of. Although when it comes to driving it's every man for himself. It doesn't matter how good or safe a driver you are, your life is dependent on how well you pay attention to what everyone around you is doing becuase usually it's something stupid. Between the few pedestrians, the fewer pedal bikes, motorbikes driven by all levels of experienced riders, tuk-tuks (essentially a taxi; a cart attached to a bike), and cars there isn't always a lot of room on the roads and people drive quite fast for the most part and a bit recklessly. These guys on their bikes must feel invincible based on their behavior, that or they like feeling especially vulnerable and surviving. I always feel so out in the open and unprotected, but it's a nice, liberating feeling. Especially on these hot-hot days where the breeze might be the main purpose for going for a ride.

In between shifts I've probably been spending most of my time at the beach. I don't know what I'll make of Sand Beach when I get home. Come to think of it, I also don't know what I'll think of flushing toilets, hot showers, and driving on the right side of the road (hopefully I adjust to that one quickly!). One of the best things about the beaches, and the island in general, in my opinion, are the massive eagles that fly everywhere. We had one at the shelter last week because it was injured but we just released it the other day. Speaking of birds, all I hear in my head when riding my bike is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np0solnL1XY .

You know how I said everyone was leaving at the end of the month? They're not anymore! Sylvia and Eva, the Polish vets, are trying to extend their stay by two weeks; Camilla and Miriam were leaving next week to Australia/New Zealand but their visa's haven't gone through so they'll be here up to another month; Sam and Mitch decided to stay at least a month instead of the original two week plan; and Justin and Meaghan also decided to stay an extra two weeks or so. Only Marcus is leaving as planned but that's not nearly as bad as I was prepared for. Hooooray!

I don't have too much more to report. My cobra story is my claim to fame around here so that's really what I wanted to write down. I did find out that there is a horse rescue on this island (how did I manage that?) that I intend to check out as soon as possible. Also, this Friday, a bunch of us from the shelter are going in a boat to a series of cavernous, chambered caves. The way it was described to me by the organizer sounds amazing and possibly a little terrifying. I am having flashbacks to the descent into the crater in Israel; from what I've been told, to enter the third chamber you have to crawl through a tunnel so small that anyone on the larger side of a bit wide of shoulders wouldn't fit. I'm pretty claustrophobic but I will hopefully be able to persuade myself through it. There are your highlight of the past few days; I'll write again in not too long providing I don't get stuck in a cave tunnel and can no longer make it to a computer screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment